The Command Prompt has been present in our Windows systems for ages. It is a well know tool in the IT world since it makes it easier to perform certain tasks. So, besides knowing how to open Command Prompt in Windows 10, it is also important to know how to open it as an administrator.
The main reason why we wrote this article is to help beginners launch the Command Prompt when trying to find the default router IP using the ipconfig command.
The steps described in this article are for Windows 10 but you can also use some of them in earlier versions of Windows. We have made sure to cover the four easiest ways to open the Command Prompt so let’s start with the simplest ones.
Open the Command Prompt in Windows 10 [4 Simple Ways]
Method 1: Open the Command Prompt from the Start menu
- Left click on the Start button.
- Scroll down to the Windows System folder in the menu.
- Click on it and then click on the Command Prompt icon.
you are wondering how to open the Command Prompt as administrator,
point your mouse cursor on the icon and right-click on it, click on More and select “Run as administrator”
You can also select the “Pin to Start” option to create a Command Prompt shortcut in the Start menu for later use.
Method 2: Open the Command Prompt using Search
- Click the Search icon in the taskbar.
- Type “cmd”
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard or click on the app icon and the Command Prompt will open.
NOTE: 4. If you want to open the Command Prompt as administrator, right-click on the Command Prompt icon and select “Run as administrator”
Method 3: Open the Command Prompt using the Run window
- On your keyboard press the Windows key, hold it and press the R key to open the Run window.
- When the Run window opens type “cmd” and click OK.
Method 4: Open the Command Prompt using Cortana
This applies to Windows 10 only because earlier versions of Windows didn’t have this feature. You will need a microphone and make sure you haven’t disabled Cortana before.
- Say “Hey Cortana.” or click the Talk to Cortana button.
- Then say “launch Command Prompt.” and it will open in a second.
NOTE: You can’t open the Command Prompt as administrator using this method
Why do you need the Command Prompt?
There are many different uses of the Command Prompt but the one that interests us at the moment is to help us find the router default Gateway or the router default IP address.
To do this we have to open the command prompt and type the ipconfig command. After you press the Enter key on your keyboard, just scroll down to Default Gateway. This is the IP you can use to login to your router.
Besides the ipconfig command there are other commands that can help us manage our wireless network using the Command Prompt.